STANLEY, lighter: When being towed by the launch Barbara W. from Mangawau, Northland, to Auckland, the lighter foundered in 15 fathoms of water just north of the Whangaparaoa passage at 00.30 a.m. on January 11, 1952. The Stanley had a full cargo of building sand and as the Barbara W. and her tow were approaching Auckland a westerly gale sprang up. About half a mile north of Whangaparaoa Point, a bulkhead in the Stanley collapsed, causing the cargo to shift. Her crew of three donned lifebelts as the lighter rolled on her beam ends.
They stepped over the stern and hung on to a light raft until rescued by the Barbara W. A buoy was tied to the end of the 360-ft. tow-line to mark the Stanley’s position, but it was felt that the chances of salvaging her were remote.
The Stanley was originally the schooner of the same name, No. 101,020, built of wood at Cape Hawk, N.S.W., in 1891. She was of 90 tons register and her dimensions were: length 82.3 ft., beam 22.4 ft., depth 6.4 ft. Her registry was cancelled in 1938 when she was converted to a lighter. The Stanley was owned by Mr. L. H. Julian, of Auckland Water Transport, who, only three months previously, had had the misfortune to lose the tug Odin and the barge Moa.