James A.Stewart 1880
content JAMES A. STEWART, brigantine : Went ashore on the North Spit, Kaipara Heads, on October 7, 1880, and became a total loss. Her crew of seven were drowned. The vessel was outÂward bound with a cargo of timber loaded at Aratapu for Adelaide. She stranded during the night, and was evidently abandoned by her crew. The hull was washed up on to the beach three miles outside of the North Head at Kaipara, and when the pilot visited the wreck on the following morning none of the crew was to be seen.
The James A. Stewart, No. 74,089, was a brigÂantine of 179 tons register, built at Nova Scotia in 1876, and her dimensions were : length 96.5 ft., beam 26.3 ft., depth 11 ft. She was owned by Messrs. D. H. McKenzie and D. Ross, of AuckÂland, and was under the command of Captain John McClellin.