ELSIE, ketch : The ketch left Ngunguru on July 26 for Thames, and, encountering a heavy gale, anchored at Tutukaka. Both anchor chains parted, and the Elsie drifted on to an island (Phillips Island) in the centre of the harbour. She quickly went to pieces, her keel and part of the deck drifting ashore. The crew reached the shore safely.
The Elsie, No. 87,527, was a ketch of 42 tons register, built at Thames, in 1885, by Robert Stone, and her dimensions were : length 62 ft., beam 17.5 ft, depth 6 ft. The ketch was owned by Mr. T. L. White, and was under the command of Captain John William Nicholson.