PAKU, cutter: The vessel sailed from New Plymouth on June 30, bound for Onehunga, and was never seen or heard of again. On July 16 an oar marked “Paku”, the hatches of a small cutter, and a piece of a boat were found near Manukau Heads. There was little doubt that the Paku had been lost, as she was then 16 days out when the wreckage was found. The cutter was under the command of Captain John Cavan, whose brother, Mr. Robert Cavan, found at Waiuku Gap on July 20 half of the cutter’s dinghy with the name “Paku” painted on it. He also found other wreckÂage, but the dinghy was the only thing he could identify as being on the Paku on her last trip.
The Paku, No. 78,362, was a cutter of 23 tons register, built at Aratapu, Kaipara, in September, 1878, by James Barbour, and her dimensions were: length 54.2 ft., beam 16.3 ft., depth 6.1 ft. She was owned by the Kauri Timber Company Ltd., of Melbourne.