Harriet Leathart 1848
HARRIET LEATHART, schooner : The vessel sailed from Manukau on October 7, 1848 for Wanganui, off which she arrived on October 17, having experienced a succession of gales on the voyage. The tide being low, the schooner stood off for the night, and at 2 p.m. on the 18th again approached the harbour, it being then near high water, but found an unusually heavy sea on the bar and the wind blowing directly off shore. At 7 p.m. the wind chopped round, but the state of the tide again prevented the Harriet Leathart from taking the bar, and the vessel stood to sea. At 11 p.m. the wind having increased to a gale, the vessel wore round in an endeavour to make the harbour. The schooner’s principal sails were blown away at midnight, and at 2.30 a.m. on October 19 a heavy sea struck the schooner, and she touched the ground, the next sea sweeping her decks. A heavy sea swept her on to the beach at 3 a.m., and all hands then went below to await daylight. News of the wreck having been carried to Wanganui everything on board the schooner was saved by the prompt assistance of the townspeople and the military. At the next tide the schooner filled and bilged, and afterwards broke up.
The Harriet Leathart, registered No. 5 of 1848, Port of Auckland, was a three-masted schooner of 45 tons register, built at Kawhia in 1848 by Francis Owen Leathart, and her dimensions were : length
46 ft., beam 15 ft., depth 8 ft. She was owned and commanded by her builder, Captain F. O. Leathart.