MAGIC, auxiliary scow: When beating up Wellington Harbour on March 26, 1921, the schooner became a total wreck on Inconstant Point, inside Wellington Heads. A northerly gale was blowing and a very heavy sea was running. The Magic could not make headway against the heavy gale and missed stays. The captain and crew landed at Pencarrow Head in the ship’s boat.
The Magic, No. 102,340, was an auxiliary, schooner-rigged scow of 94 tons gross and 58 tons net register, built at Auckland in 1901, and her dimensions were: length 92.1 ft., beam 25.4 ft., depth 5.7 ft. Her engine was of 60 h.p. She was owned by Messrs. G. D. Hansford and L. Mills and commanded by Captain W. Mackintosh.