MAGNET, barque : On September 3, 1844, the Magnet was wrecked at Ikolaki (Peraki) whaling station, south of Akaroa, one of her crew being drowned. The barque was cast on a rocky shore and went to pieces in two hours. The Magnet, which had sailed from Wellington for Waikouaiti on July 5, had on board about 50 tuns of oil, the property of Mr. John Jones, who was on board, and also money and property belonging to another passenger, a Mr. Curtis, nearly all of which was lost. The Magnet was the fourth vessel to be lost at this whaling station in three years, the others being the brigs Jewess, Transfer and Speculator.
The Magnet was a barque of 148 tons register, owned by Mr. John Jones, and commanded by Captain Lewis. The sum of Â£77 was collected among the Wellington public for the shipwrecked complement, and was apportioned as follows:Captain Lewis and the first mate, Â£17 each; Mr. Curtis, the passenger, Â£15; second mate Â£7; steward, Â£5; and four seamen, Â£4 each.