TUI, steamer: When bound from Wellington to Foxton the Tui was wrecked one mile north of Pencarrow Lighthouse on the night of November 1, 1886. Shortly after she struck the vessel made water very rapidly and brought the steamer down by the head. Finding that he could not beach the vessel before she sank, the master ordered the boats to be lowered and the passengers and crew placed in them. The boat in charge of the captain made a landing near the Pilot Station, and the one in charge of the engineer made the beach at the old Pilot Station. The weather at the time of the casualty was very thick, and, just previous to the Tui striking, a heavy rain squall came on, causing the master to lose sight of some of the land lights. The Tui was steaming at about 10 knots at the time she struck, and from the rapidity with which the fore compartment and engine-room filled it was supposed that the bottom was torn out of her. About 15 minutes after she struck the rocks thi steamer went down head first, and sank in eigh fathoms Qf water. With the exception of one passenger all on board lost everything but tha clothes they landed in. An attempt was made tc refloat the vessel, but when everything was readi to tow her a southerly swell came on, and some o1 the chains supporting her parted. The owner; abandoned her on December 18. The steamer which was not insured, was valued at Â£2,500. ‘the Court of Inquiry into the loss of the Tui fount that the casualty was caused through the reckles! navigation of the master, whose certificate wa! cancelled.
The Tui, No. 69,001, was an iron, screw steamer of 102 tons gross and 64 tons net register, built at Dunedin in 1875 by R. S. Sparrow and Co., ant her dimensions were : length 103.4 ft., bean 16.2 ft., depth 7.5 ft. Her two engines were of 22 h.p. The Tui was owned by Messrs. J. Josepf and C. Seager, of Wellington, and was under the command of Captain Charles Quintin Pope.