SQUALL, steamer : The vessel left Te Araroa for Port Awanui at 7 p.m. on February 1, 1916, and about an hour later struck an uncharted rock off Horoera Point, a mile north of East Cape. The sea was smooth, and the crew embarked in the surf boat. The steamer disappeared shortly after she was abandoned, sinking in about 20 fathoms of water. A landing was effected eight miles distant from the scene of the mishap, being made with great difficulty, the crew finding it more dangerous to get ashore than to leave the sinking ship. The Court of Inquiry found that the loss of the ship was due to an error of judgement on the part of the master in not verifying distance from Horoera Point, and not making sufficient allowance for the set of the tide. He was ordered to pay the costs of the inquiry.
The Squall, No. 118,113, was a steel, screw steamer of 369 tons gross and 145 tons net register, built at Zaltbommel, Holland, in 1904, by J. Meyer, and her dimensions were: length 140.4 ft., beam 24.2 ft., depth 10.4 ft. Her engines were of 60 h.p. The steamer was owned by Messrs. Richardson and Company, of Napier, and was under the command of Captain L. B. Vasta.